Savanna

Savanna

Monday, January 13, 2014

Casting day is almost here!

Wow... It seemed like it was so far off, and now casting day is in 3 days!! 

Everyone is asking how I am holding up.  Honestly, I have mostly good days, but also some bad days about it all.  Most of the time I am feeling like, "We are going to do this!  It will be challenging, but it will be successful!"  However, on other days like one last week, when a pediatrician asks me if Savanna had a genetic screening to rule out other issues, it freaks me out a bit.  I mean, we had an MRI scan that showed something little worth watching, but no other issues.  Do we need to do more screening now and possibly uncover something else?  Geez.  We'll have to see.  It won't be happening this week anyway.  Like I said, it's mostly good days, but as casting day gets closer, my anxiety gets heightened a bit...

Thank goodness for our wonderful friends and family and for the new folks I have "met" in my Facebook support group.  It's been wonderful to hear from others that have been through this before.  A couple of my friends are even hosting a (post-)casting party for Savanna to celebrate her and to help begin her healing process.  There may even be some cast decorating going on! :-)

Thankfully, Savanna is such a trooper.  I hope she'll be able to roll right through it all like the little boy in the video below.  This is 24 hours after he has his first cast applied... Amazing!  Kids are so resilient!  
"A child with Infantile Scoliosis in a Mehta Method Cast"



I'm so incredibly thankful for the woman that started the Infantile Scoliosis Outreach Program (ISOP).  She has been working tirelessly for the past 10 years to bring this Mehta casting method (that Savanna will have) to doctors in the US.

Wish us luck!  I'll provide an update later this week as soon as I can.  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hi There. I am an engineer as well and we were actively casting last year. I just wanted to wish you well with the first cast. It is a steep learning curve but you will get through and life in cast will become very normal.

    ReplyDelete