Savanna

Savanna

Friday, January 3, 2014

Getting ready for Cast #1 and Items to Bring to Casting

I have been getting many questions from friends and family about Savanna's casting.  There is a great 2 minute news story that provides some information about how the doctors will put the cast on her.  Please see... "For Very Young Children, There’s A Way To Cure Scoliosis Without Surgery"
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/7472136-for-very-young-children-theres-a-way-to-cure-scoliosis-without-surgery/#.T_dn2WUTFFA.blogger

 CBS News story

Also, here's a great 2 minute video on casting that I saw at http://theinfantilescoliosischronicles.blogspot.com/2012/07/video-about-how-casting-works.html (This blog has been a GREAT resource to me!)



After watching these videos, I am still scared about what's ahead.  However, I definitely feel more empowered.  I think I am more nervous about the anesthesia than anything.  Also, learning how to live life in a cast will be challenging too.  There will be no baths (other than sponge baths), no swimming or playing in the sand, difficult diaper changes (she may wear two - one bigger and one smaller), no squishy hugs, and a potential for skin problems.  Thankfully, we will have a break every two months where things will be back to normal for a bit before the next cast.  We'll have to plan a beach trip during a casting break in the summer!

I've heard that this process will be harder on me and Savanna's dad than it will be on her, and that's okay.  Better for me to feel scared and sad than her!  I have also heard that the first few days to a week are the hardest.  So, if we can make it through that (and we will!), we will all be just fine.  Because Savanna is such a chill little girl too, if anyone can handle the casting with flying colors, it will be her.  :-)

Here's a picture of a little girl (from the blog mentioned above) in her first cast.



I'm sure Savanna's will look very similar.

I've been putting together a list of items to bring to the casting appointment.  Here's what I have so far...
  • 2 Big bibs (to protect the cast from food and/or sickness)
  • Size 3 and 4 diapers (She's currently in size 3, but we may need something bigger.)
  • Size 24 month shirt x 2 (She's currently in 18 month clothes, but will likely need something bigger after the cast is in place.)
  • Size 24 month pants and 18 month pants, elastic
  • Size 24 month pajamas
  • Shorts
  • Folder containing
    • Recent medical records/x-rays
    • Immunization records
    • Insurance card
    • Savanna's social security card
    • Name and address of her pediatrician and pediatric orthopedist
    • Questions for the casting doctor
  • Lovey (her dog Spunky)
  • Food for lunch and snacks for her and us
  • Water in sippy
  • Blanket
  • A couple of toys and books
  • iPad with charger
  • Camera/phone with charger 
  • Change of clothes for us
  • Baby powder (helps to get plaster dust off)
  • Baby washcloth (softer then the hospital's)
Over the next 12 days I plan to be doing more research and, just as important, I plan to read as many success stories as I can.  These will help to bolster my comfort and confidence in what we're about to go through.  Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers!

2 comments:

  1. "I've heard that this process will be harder on me and Savanna's dad than it will be on her, and that's okay. Better for me to feel scared and sad than her! "

    You brought tears to my eyes with these 2 sentences. Sending you and Brent lots of love and strength through this process! Go Savanna! And I love the beach trip during a break idea!!! Nice thinking, mama. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts. xoxo back at ya!

      Delete